Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Get your motor runnin'

It's time to start writing again. I haven't done much writing at all over the past month or two, and no writing here in ages. I need it, though. I need the outlet, the release, the sense of accomplishment it gives me.

There are so many times, as I'm in the car, or out and about, that I think, "Hmm.... That would make an interesting blog post!" Then, I get back home, and I need to put away the groceries, or do the laundry, or make the dinner, and it never happens. The longer I go on like this, the less motivated I become to do, well, anything. So, I guess you could say that this is a desperate attempt at finding motivation, both for writing, and in general. Kind of the whole, "fake it till you make it" mentality - if I fake my motivation, maybe action will beget motivation will beget action?

Now, if I'm completely honest with myself, and with the rest of you, one of the big reasons I haven't posted much here is because things happened that necessitated my posting on my other blog with more frequency. This is a lighthearted, upbeat blog, and things just haven't been all that lighthearted and upbeat lately. I mean, sure, there have been all sorts of fun and interesting things that have gone on, but I've had this constant undercurrent of stress that has made writing about the good seem trivial. I know now, though, that I need to write about the good to help deal with the not-so-good.

It really has been great living here. We've experienced things that, in all the moves and all the years, we hadn't had before. We have family very close by now, so we have a support system for when the bad things crop up, and to share the happy with. We have made some friends, though I'm still throwing up my usual brick walls and roadblocks. We've experienced so many new things! The girls even have winter coats and used them!

There have been so many times over the last few months that I've looked around me and just thought - or said - "I love living here." Take right now. I am sitting in my living room, watching the rain fall in my back yard. Many storms have found me outside on either the front or back porch, taking it all in. Saturday, when we were at the French Quarter Festival, after walking miles, I looked around me and was in love. I could see the Mississippi River to my left, and a crowd of people to my right, and everyone was happy! At Christmas, when we went to the bonfires, even though we didn't know anyone there, we felt like we were surrounded by friends. Even here in the neighborhood - I go outside, and someone stops by to talk for a bit.

It's good here. Yes, there's some scary stuff going on. No, not every day is wonderful. But, it's good. It's safe. It's peaceful. And, being here, we can make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment