Thursday, April 26, 2012

Small Wonders

It's the little things in life that make up the big happinesses, really. I think that's something that we often forget when we get bogged down in the minutiae of everyday life. We are running around so fast, so hurriedly, so  harried, that we miss all the small wonders; all the beautiful moments that make up the good life.

My girls are currently on Spring Break. Monday was a little busy, but nothing too terrible - I had doctor's appointments, but they were spread out, and the kids were able to spend most of the day relaxing. (Okay, so they weren't relaxing - they had gotten in a heap of trouble Sunday night and spent most of the day folding laundry. Potayto, potahto!) Tuesday, since it was such an insanely gorgeous day, we went down to the French Quarter with Hans' mom, walked around a bit, had a bite of lunch at a place we'd been wanting to try (Montrel's for anyone wondering. And no, I don't recommend it.) and picked up some provisions at Tabasco and Aunt Sally's. Tuesday night, the girls had sleepovers with the neighbor girls - Al at their house, the youngest daughter here at ours with Heather. Wednesday was playing all day long, first here between the two houses, then at Grammy's and with the neighbor kids there. Then they spent the night with the grandparents. Again!

Yesterday, after the kids were gone, I decided to sit on my front porch without children running around me. I got a beer and a good mini cigar my father in law brought me from St. Maarten and parked myself. The lovely thing about my front porch is that the hedges are such that, if I don't wish to be noticed, I'm not. So I sat back and observed the comings and goings of the neighborhood. The weather was divine, the peace was superb. It was just one of those little moments that makes you smile and think how good life is.

There have been so many of those moments lately, too. I love living here because of it. I love that we live in a neighborhood where all the kids play together outside, running from house to house, spending the entire day outdoors. I love that the neighbors all wave and say hello. I love that we feel safe, and like we can stay put for a while.

The small wonders. They make up the good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment